Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Long live Mexican wine!


Tomost Gringos, Cinco de Mayo is a perfectly decent reason to party—enjoy a neonblue margarita at the local Don Pablo’s and whoop it up … and the perfect timeon the calendar nestled between St. Paddy’s day and Memorial Day for a long evening and even longer next morning.


Cinco de Mayo or theFifth of May commemorates the 1862 victory by Mexican forces over French soldiers. The battle known as The Battle of Puebla took place on May 5th. It is a day marked by many Mexicans and those with Mexican ties as an important cultural event.
Margaritas not withstanding, any reason to celebrate is a reason to hoist a glass of vino and wine in Mexico has a long history that is starting to re-emerge.
Or,in the words of the rock band the Fountains of Wayne, I think I’ll have anotherglass of “Mexican Wine.”


I used to fly for United Airlines. Then I got fired for reading High Times. My license expired in almost no time. Now I’m retired and I think that’s fine. Because the sun still shines in the summer time. I’ll be yours if you’ll be mine I tried to change, but I changed my mind. Think I’ll have another glass of Mexican wine.


Mexicanwine, at least as an industry, is enjoying nice growth, despite the fact that native Mexicans are largely categorized as being ambivalent about the drink.


And,also important to note that the majority of Mexican wine is made above the 30th parallel where the growing conditions are more hospitable. This area is in Baja California, and most ofthe wine-growing region is in and around the Ensenada area.


No comments: